Milette Raats (b.1971) works as visual artist and freelance photographer. Travel, the meetings that ensue abroad, staging, and the use of analogue cameras (including the 1952 Agfa Billy) are primary components of the photography of Milette Raats. In her tableaux vivants she plays with the characters embodying different eras. Her appreciation of history, love for travel and analogue photography merge and flourish in her work, culminating in the filmic and picturesque. Her work is characterized by strongly introspective images, those shot deliberately out of focus bring film stills to mind. She considers it crucial that the viewer is able to freely interpret her work.
Milette Raats studied at HKU University of the Arts Utrecht in the Netherlands and at the L’École des Beaux Arts de Marseille (FR). She completed her internship at former Magnum Photographer Marc Riboud in Paris (FR). In 2002 she published her first book ‘Present – a Photo journey through Europe’ (BIS Publishers, Amsterdam (NL)). In 2007 she became a member of Lensmodern Photographers London, and in 2014 of Gallery Seelevel Amsterdam. In 2016 The Amsterdam Museum purchased three photos of Raats from the exhibition ‘Transmission’ to be included in their collection.
Milette Raats exhibits in the Netherlands and abroad.
Highlights include :
- 2019 Dutch Photo Festival Naarden, https://www.fotofestivalnaarden.nl/
- 2018 Designmarch i.c.w. Hanna Felting, Reykjavik (IS) http://designmarch.is
- 2017 SOLO The Emerald, Amsterdam (NL)
- 2016 Finalist Landscape Award, Headon Photo Festival Sydney (AU)
- 2016 Lensculture London, Nomination Emerging Talent Award (UK)
- 2016 Lensculture London, Nomination Portrait Award (UK)
- 2016 Solo, The Emerald House Amsterdam (NL)
- 2016 Solo, 5&33 Gallery, Amsterdam (NL)
- 2015 ‘Transmission’ icw Koos Breukel, Amsterdam Museum, Amsterdam (NL)
- 2014 Gallery Sirius Tokyo (JP)
- 2014 Emerald House i.c.w. Gallery Seelevel Amsterdam (NL)
- 2014 Amstel Gallery Amsterdam (NL)
- 2014 Gallery Majke Husstege (Dutch Gallery Award) (NL)
- 2013 Dutch Photo Festival, Naarden (NL)
- 2013 Photoville, International Photo Festival New York (USA)
- 2011 IJFFF Photo & Film Festival, Amsterdam (NL)
- 2012 Solo @ Gallery Majke Husstege, Den Bosch (NL)
- 2010 Gallery Majke Husstege, Den Bosch (NL)
- 2009 Meteorite Londen (UK)
- 2007 member of Lensmodern photo agency in London (UK)
- 2007 Dutch Photo Festival Naarden (NL)
- 2007/2006 Gallery Cicterna, Moscow (RU)
- 2019 PS Camera (location on further notice, NL),
in which she collaborates with photographer Paul de Nooijer.